Pages

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Fall DWA

Climbing Down
6/2/12
Dear Journal,
       I started my journey up Mount Everest today, with my 2 brothers and my father. The day was predictable for the most part, we got ready early in the morning to prepare for the long day’s climb and set off around 7 in the morning. The weather was clear, and there were no obstructions. If the rest of the expedition is like today, we’ll probably make it up to the peak by the end of the week, but what fun would that be.



6/5/12
Dear Journal,
        The travel today was very rough, so we could not climb very far. Every step was a battle against the crackling wind. The blinding snow made it impossible to see any more the a foot in front of you. The icy touch of the mountain reaches every part of my body now, and the taunting smell of smoke sitting by the fire doesn’t help, because I know that there is no amount of heat that bring my body back to its original state. Even more depressing, in all the commotion, we lost my brother, Steven. My heart had dropped down the mountain at the realization. I have two options now, grieve for the lost of my brother and stop the climb right now, or I could make the loss of my brother mean something, not let his loss be in vain.



6/6/12
Dear Journal,
        We decided to continue our quest right away, but now we were climbing for a bigger reason. There was a bitter taste in my mouth all day. I couldn’t get rid of it, no matter what I tried. I was unaware of the weather all day until just now. I contemplated everything walking up the mounting today. I’m lucky I didn’t get lost in thought and become another victim of the mountain.



6/8/12

Dear Journal,
        We are nearing the top mountain, but it feels like we are only moving at a snail’s pace. This is becoming the hardest of the journey for me. Hope is at its highest, rising as we get closer to the peak, but , the fact that my brother won’t be at the top when we get there, it’s bearing on me. The knife in my heart was sinking deeper with every step up, my backpack using its full force to drag me back down the hill.



6/11/12
Dear Journal,
        We reached the top of the mountain today, the peak, the plateau. When your literally on top of the world, you have nowhere to go but down. I can only get lower than I already am, and I can’t imagine anywhere lower than the feeling I have right now. The only thing I can hope for, is that when I go down, I can pick myself back up.

2 comments:

  1. I think you did a good job at impersonating the climber but I think you could add more detail, mainly on how he lost his brother.

    ReplyDelete